So I’ve been thinking about these Throwback Thursday posts a lot, I wanted to do some posts telling you about songs that bring back memories to me.
There’s a lot of songs out there that mean a lot to me and bring back a lot of memories so I’ve decided to make a playlist on Spotify called “Songs That Mean Stuff.”
I thought that I could do a post every other Thursday telling you the stories behind why some of the songs in the playlist mean so much to me.
I’ll do 5 songs each post and I’ll put Spotify on shuffle and pick them that way.
I discovered something really cool recently which I actually can’t believe I’ve only just discovered. You can actually embed Spotify playlists into WordPress! Yes, I know… Welcome to 2015 Charlotte…
I’m going to put the playlist right below this sentence so you can listen along as you read the rest of the post! Enjoy! 🙂
- Above & Beyond – Sun & Moon (acoustic). The acoustic version of this song isn’t my favourite version but I love it so much anyway because it reminds me of that amazing night at Alexandra Palace for ABGT050 when A&B played the Acoustic version for the first time and they said something like “it’s the song you’re waiting to hear but not in the way you’re expecting” and then they played it and it was just amazing! I still get chills remembering the sound of the entire crowd singing along, if you’ve ever had the privilege of seeing Above & Beyond live and they’ve played Sun & Moon you’ll know EXACTLY what I mean. I found this image on Google and it just sums everything up perfectly.
- My Chemical Romance – I’m Not Okay (I Promise). I can still remember the first time I heard this song, it was played on Kerrang TV I think or a channel like that and I just remember thinking “THIS SONG GETS ME.” I wasn’t okay at the time, I was depressed as hell, being bullied in school and I just generally wasn’t okay and I discovered this song and it was like it’s right! I’M NOT OKAY. I’M NOT O-FUCKING-KAY and yeah it got me, I love that feeling when you hear a song and it just sums up how you’re feeling so perfectly. It’s especially amazing when you can still remember how good that feels TEN YEARS LATER. I actually feel like crying right now at the realisation that it was TEN years ago… I’m getting old!
- You’ve Got The Love – Florence + The Machine. If you’ve been on my blog for a few years you’ll know about my friend Laura, she committed suicide almost 4 years ago now and this song reminds me of her. We were in a club in town one Saturday night and this song came on and Laura just got so excited and stood up on one of the podium things and started singing at the top of her voice and now whenever I hear this song I see her standing there on that podium singing like she didn’t have a care in the world, she killed herself a few months later so obviously she did have worries but in that moment nothing else mattered to her.
- To The Six (club mix) – Boom Jinx + Andrew Bayer. I’ve loved this song for years, it was one of the first Boom Jinx tracks I heard and it’s just so much fun to dance to especially when it’s played in clubs like Ministry Of Sound with their immense sound system. I’ve been a fan of Boom Jinx’s (and Bayer’s) for a while and last year I actually got to interview Boom Jinx when he played in Ministry of Sound (read the interview here). He went straight on after our interview and this was one of the songs he played and I remember when it came on I had one of those “holy crap I just interviewed him!” moments because I’d just spent like an hour hanging out with a guy responsible for one of my all-time favourite club tracks and now here he was playing it live in front of me (and the rest of the club) pretty cool moment actually.
- Seven Nation Army – White Stripes. This song is in this playlist because I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve called people up and asked “what’s the name of that song that goes do do do dooo do dooo doooo” for some reason I can’t get the name of this song to stick in my head haha, I’ve even been known to search Google for “do do do dooo do dooo doooo” before… the name just will not stick! It just always makes my friends and I laugh now whenever it’s played. I love this song as well though because it always reminds me of festival crowds it’s one of those song that the crowds ALWAYS sing, like it doesn’t matter which festival, it still gets sung. I’m an absolute sucker for crowd singing!
So there you have it! 5 songs that mean something to me picked at random from the new playlist I made called ‘Songs That Mean Stuff’ on Spotify. I’ll do one of these posts every other week and I’ll keep updating the playlist with songs as and when I remember more!
I promise that not all of the songs remind me of sad or depressing things some of the stories that go with some of the songs in this playlist are actually hilarious! Well I think they’re hilarious, whether you do remains to be seen!
If you liked this post please feel free to share it with your friends and family and if you have any songs that mean anything to you tell me in the comments below, on Twitter @MissCharlotteEm or on any of my other social media sites which you can find by clicking here I’d love to hear your stories! 🙂
Thanks for reading!